Pages

The One-Minute Writer

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sharing

Well, this is a hard topic because I am a pretty typical woman. I have lived a "normal" life with not much happening that has been unique. I guess this is a good thing. However, the one thing that I can remember that I did in my life that was cute and/or funny was at a very young age, probably around 3 or 4 I carried a pop cap gun in my purse. I remember doing this to at least around the age of 8 or so. I always told my parents that I was going to be a police officer when I grew up.

Interestingly enough, I did end up graduating from college where I majored in Criminal Justice, but decided to work in the probation field with adolescents instead of be a police officer. I did this because I felt that I wanted to help fix the problem instead of just take care of the crisis situation. I decided to work with adolescents instead of adults because I felt like that was where the problems started and if I could help get the child on the right track early it may prevent any further problems occurring when they became adults. After 12 years of working in this field I do feel that I have helped some juveniles and their families.

I know that I can't help them all as it is truly up to them to make the change in their life. However, it is always nice to hear the success stories and have an adult visit me later stating that I had made a difference in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment