Pages

The One-Minute Writer

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

30 Seconds

The first time I read this question my initial response was that I would not grab anything. If my family was fine, I would just get out of the house as fast as I could.

However, thinking about this question further I guess I would have to say that I would grab a wooden box that I have in my closet. In this box, is memorabilia from both my grandfathers.

After their deaths, I received a tie, handkerchief, and bible that belonged to my mother's father and an old coin that belonged to my father's father. Each of these things have meaning behind them to me that bring back memories of each grandfather. My mother's father always went to church every Wednesday and Sunday and always wore a tie when attending church. He studied the bible daily and always allowed me to use his handkerchief when I had a snotty nose or was crying. He was a gentle and caring man who loved his Lord dearly.

My father's father was not as religious and not as sociable, but he was caring and I always remember him giving me half dollars when I visited him as a child. He was a man who loved children, especially his only granddaughter. I miss them both dearly and only wish I leave good memories as they did to my children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment